Sunday 14 February 2016

One Way to Kill Candida: The Low Basal Body Temperature Solution: Day 3

My digital thermometer readings told me one thing: my hypothyroid-like body temperature was at the root of my candida albicans problem. Despite following a low carbohydrate diet with probiotics and antifungals such as coconut for fifty days, my candida persisted.

Hypothyroid Body Temperature

Today is the third day of my HIIT thermogenic activity: to raise my body temperature. Today is not a good start.

My basal body temperature (BBT) fell to its lowest reading since my anti-candida diet trial began 54 days ago. At 2am it fell to 35.7°C. By 1am it had already dropped to 35.9°C, and did not rise to above 36.0°C until about 4 am. I can assume this, because body temperature usually falls during sleep and it was still a chilly 36.2°C at 5am. According to the Broda O Barnes Body Temperature test for hypothyroidism, a BBT reading of 36.2°C or lower is a cause for concern.

Recurrent Conjunctivitis
My BBT remained at or below 36.0°C for four hours last night. Other nights, it averages around 36.0°C to 36.1°C in the small hours. In summary, my BBT is too low.

I take my temperature during the few times I rouse in the night and before going to sleep (around midnight to 1 am). Hence the temperature readings.

Estrogen Dominance and Candida

But my blood results for hypothyroid are normal. How can this be? The answer lies in adrenal exhaustion and estrogen dominance. Both cause low BBTs.

I had an unexplained bleed midway through my menstrual cycle. This means my progesterone levels would remain very low. Progesterone is the heat-giving hormone – the counterpart to estrogen. Without progesterone, the woman’s body temperature falls below normal and her health suffers.

I hasten to add, estrogen levels should prevail after menstruation anyway, but if estrogen is too dominant, and the progesterone too deficient, the body can’t function properly. I have been estrogen dominant for a month and can say that my health has suffered badly.

Allergy to Being Cold

After Clearing, Oral Thrush Returns
A low BBT is bad for the gut flora, but the candida doesn’t mind. Candida is an opportunistic yeast overgrowth that looks for a way in. A low BBT is the answer. In fact, studies have proved an unmistakable link between lower than normal BBT and yeast overgrowth.

Candida is associated with a sugary diet and stress, but the matter of a low BBT seems to be overlooked.

After a cold BBT, my oral thrush has returned with vengeance. My scalp is scaly despite moisturising it with coconut oil and the skin on my lower regions itches like mad, especially at night. To top things, my eyes have succumbed to conjunctivitis (as it often does). They look bloodshot and awful.

Why Low Carbohydrate Diet does not Kill Yeast

I have trialled a low carbohydrate diet for around 50 days. I have cut sugar, wheat, junk food and booze. I have taken antifungals in the form of oregano oil, coconut oil, garlic tablets and spices. I have also taken probiotics. On top of this, I have introduced green smoothies a few times per week and eaten healthily in the form of nuts, seeds, plenty of veg and some lean meat.

I can safely say that the candida diet cannot work if your BBT is too low. Worse, the low carbohydrate diet actually lowers your body temperature, because a carb-starved state warrants low metabolism to preserve energy.

So, despite everything, my oral thrush has returned, my skin itches, I feel tired, and this morning I look as though I have sunk a few voddies the night before.

My BBT is too low. What do I do?

I was hoping to trial an experiment with HIIT (high intensity interval training) to see if it will boost my hormones and increase my BBT. But I am unable to practice it today because I feel unwell. Having menstruated three times in close succession it will have to wait.

Today is a bad day, but I have learned a lot through experimentation and firsthand experience rather than through anecdotes.

And I know what doesn’t work. It’s time to work on my BBT.

Foods that Boost Progesterone

After a little research, have learned that foods that boost the heat-producing hormone progesterone would appear to be:
  • Wild yam products such as Mexican yam cream.
  • Lots of vitamin C (grapefruit, kiwi, orange, peppers).
  • B6 (found in walnuts, grains and lean red meat)
  • Zinc (found in red meats, shellfish, crab, dark chocolate, wheatgerm and pumpkin).
  • Magnesium (dark veg, spinach, whole grain, nuts and pumpkin seeds).
Other foods to introduce are: egg yolks, red meat, walnuts, shellfish, poultry, oregano, thyme, turmeric and sea vegetables such as seaweed.
  • Avoid stress, as cortisol is manufactured at the expense of progesterone.
  • Also avoid soy foods as this produced estrogen. I already avoid chemicals that cause high estrogen levels in the body.
  • Eat at regular intervals to avoid stressing the body.
 Having hit rock bottom, the only way is up.

More Articles about Candida and Hormonal Imbalance